TGIF! Celebrating Community at Maui Fridays
Most everyone looks forward to Friday as a day of celebration. It’s a way to kick the past workweek to the curb while also serving as a precursor to the rest of the weekend where one will (hopefully) get to rest and relax, or at least do something not work-related.
Photo © Hawaii Tourism Authority (HTA) / Tor Johnson
Many cities have some sort of Friday event that’s centered around a combination of food, art and entertainment. Honolulu’s Chinatown has played host to a popular First Friday party since 2003, and other communities around the state have followed suit with their own monthly events, like Second Thursday poetry slams on Kaua‘i and O‘ahu or Third Sunday family days at the Honolulu Museum of Art.
Maui, however, takes things to a whole other level. Not happy to settle for just one day, we’ve got Maui Fridays where we celebrate our local communities most every Friday of the month. Maui Fridays generally feature local artists and craftsmen, live performances, and a variety of restaurants and businesses selling their wares from tents, or from their storefronts, if they’re lucky enough to have their shop on the frontlines.
- Wailuku does the honors on the First Friday of the month, taking over Market Street for the evening.
- Lahaina’s Front Street is where the fun is to be found on the Second Friday, with the main performance stage located in Campbell Park.
- Upcountry Maui is the place to spend Third Fridays with festivities at the Eddie Tam Memorial Park in Makawao.
- Fourth Friday festivities take place in Kīhei at the Azeka Shopping Center, with the largest “keiki zone” for the kids!
- And on the months where there’s a Fifth Friday, the island of Lāna‘i pulls out all the stops to host their own celebration.
- All events run from 6-9 pm.
When looking for experiences that are authentically local, travelers tend to think of hole-in-the-wall restaurants or secret beach hideaways. Often, the best local experiences are out in the open and welcoming to residents and visitors, alike. There’s no better way to experience the best of local communities than at a party celebrating the things that make them what they are.
Hopefully, your stay has you here on a Friday so you can take part in one of these celebrations yourself!
keywords: friday music entertainment local artists craftsmen vendors shopping food art tgif weekend
Plan Your Trip
Book Your Vacation
Plan your own idyllic getaway with the Hawaii travel experts. Our partner, Pleasant Holidays, has created unforgettable vacations to the Hawaiian Islands for more than half a century, and can help you with all your travel arrangements.
Experience Your Hawaii
Enhance your vacation with activities and experience the very best of the islands. From helicopter flights to snorkeling adventures, from luaus to eco-tours, Pleasant Activities has hundreds of engaging activities that will catch your fancy.